Getting started with computing, storage, and database services by AWS
Millions of customers, fast-growing start-ups, large enterprises, and leading government agencies utilize AWS cloud platform to power their infrastructures. AWS service platform provides on-demand delivery of technology services via the internet with pay as you go pricing. Build your advance cloud based applications without any upfront cost or any on-going commitments, you only pay for what you use. AWS gives you more services and more features within those services than any other cloud provider, In-turn, a faster, easier, and cost-effective way to move your existing applications to the cloud. Cloud computing with AWS helps you lower your costs, become more agile, and innovate at a faster pace.
Benefits of using Amazon Web Services:
The three basic computing, storage, and database services by AWS that aid managing your infrastructures, these services have been utilized extensively by all the developers in their periodic software development lifecycle, “AWS EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud), AWS S3 (Simple Storage Service), and AWS RDS (Relational Database Service).
AWS EC2 lends you easy to use computing services in the cloud with numerous instances. With EC2 you don’t have to worry about managing infrastructures, all you have to do is write code and leave provisioning of servers on EC2. AWS S3 gives you more features when it comes to stored data. With AWS S3 all the data can be secured on the cloud and can be made available just by an API call. AWS RDS offers its users a high-reliability for using domain services with up to 99% of up-time.
Computing: AWS EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud): Understanding Multiple Instances
AWS EC2 administers secure compute capacity in the cloud while providing effortless web-scaling computing for its’ customers. Designed for multi-tier applications, large websites, and resource-intensive workloads, Elastic compute cloud allows a broad variety of launch instances.
Benefits of using AWS EC2
- Highly secure platform with resizable computing instances.
- AWS EC2 offers easy to manage access keys on EC2 instances with automated key rotation
- With AWS EC2 you only pay for what you use. Minimum commitment policy and provides familiar operating systems.
Here Lets’ take a look at some of the instances offered by EC2
- General Purpose
- T2 Burstable Performance: High-Frequency Intel Xeon Processors. Burstable CPU, governed by CPU Credits, and consistent baseline performance.
- M4 Latest Generation: EBS-optimized by default at no additional cost and Support for Enhanced Networking.
- M3: High-Frequency Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2 (Ivy Bridge) Processors. SSD-based instance storage for fast I/O performance.
- Optimized Computing
- C4 Latest Generation: High-frequency Intel Xeon E5-2666 v3 (Haswell) processors optimized specifically for EC2. EBS-optimized by default and at no additional cost.
- C3: High-Frequency Intel Xeon E5-2680 v2 (Ivy Bridge) Processors. Support for Enhanced Support for clustering.
- Optimized Memory
- X1: X1 Instances are optimized for large-scale, enterprise-class, in-memory applications and have the lowest price per GiB of RAM among Amazon EC2 instance types.
- R4: R4 instances are optimized for memory-intensive applications and offer a better price per GiB of RAM than R3.
- R3: R3 instances are optimized for memory-intensive applications and offer a lower price per GiB of RAM.
- Accelerated Computing Instances
- P2: High-Frequency Intel Xeon E5-2686v4 (Broad well) Processors. High-performance NVIDIA K80 GPUs, each with 2,496 parallel processing cores and 12GiB of GPU memory
- G2: High-Frequency Intel Xeon E5-2670 (Sandy Bridge) Processors. High-performance NVIDIA GPUs, each with 1,536 CUDA cores and 4GB of video memory.
- F1: offer customizable hardware acceleration with field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs).
- Storage Optimized
- I3 High I/O: provide Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) SSD backed instance storage optimized for low latency, very high random I/O performance, and high sequential read throughput and provide high IOPS at a low cost.
- D2 Dense Storage: feature up to 48 TB of HDD-based local storage, deliver high disk throughput, and offer the lowest price per disk throughput performance on Amazon EC2.
Amazon EC2 helps you in simplifying your operations. Can be scaled as required, improves resiliency and lets’ run your applications securely.
Storage: AWS Simple Storage Service (S3)
AWS S3 is an object storage service that is built to store and retrieve any amount of data from any platform.
AWS S3 is a highly scalable and secure service that offers 99.99999999999% (11 9s) durability. This means that your business will be always running and your data will always be stored, which you can retrieve from anywhere in the world just on one command. AWS S3 is simple to use with a web-based management console and mobile app. S3 provides full REST APIs and SDKs for easy integration with third-party technologies.
Getting Started with AWS S3
Write, read and delete objects containing from 1 byte to 5 terabytes of each data. The number of objects you can store is unlimited..
- A bucket can be stored in one of the several.
- A bucket name is unique same as domain.
- A bucket is a container for objects and describes the location, logging, accounting, and access control.
- You can choose a region to optimize for latency, minimize costs or address regulatory requirements.
- Objects stored in a region never leave the region unless you transfer them out.
- Authentication mechanisms are provided to ensure that data is kept secure from unauthorized access. Objects can be made private or public and rights can be granted to specific users.
- S3 charges based on per GB-month and per I/O requests and Data modification requests.
Each object is stored in a Bucket and retrieved via a unique, developer-assigned key.
Database: AWS Relational Database Services (RDS)
AWS Relational Database services lets’ you set up, operate, and scale a relational database in the cloud. AWS Relational Database Services automates time-consuming administration tasks such as hardware provisioning, database set up, patching, and backups. This lets your developers focus only on building applications while AWS RDS takes the responsibility for the security, and compatibility they need.
Available Database Instance Types with AWS RDS:
Amazon RDS is available on several database instance types such as optimized for memory, performance and I/O. RDS provides you with six familiar database engines to choose from including Amazon Aurora, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, Oracle Database, and SQL server.
AWS RDS Benefits
- Easy to administer: The Amazon RDS management console makes it easy to go from project connection to deployment.
- Highly Scalable: Amazon RDS runs on the same highly reliable infrastructure used by other amazon web services.
- Built for the cloud: Amazon RDS offers a secure and scalable relational database Amazon RDS engine, exclusively built for the cloud.
In this blog, we offered a brief on inside understanding and provided knowledge on AWS focusing on computing, storage, and database. When you integrate these AWS services with your current system you can automate many cumbersome tasks and focus on what’s necessary.
Dev Information Technology Limited (DEV IT) is a public listed company on NSE Emerge: [DEV IT] and is an end-to-end IT service provider that believes in offering innovative solutions. DEV IT has its expertise in various areas such as cloud computing, enterprise mobility, enterprise applications development, infrastructure management services, custom application development, cloud based application development and many more.